Signs My Kid is Vaping
Youth vaping is a concern across the nation, but what about here in Oklahoma? In a recent survey by the CDC, 1 in 4 Oklahoma kids reported vaping in the last month. This epidemic is no longer on our doorstep. It’s in our homes. Fortunately, as a parent, there are ways to protect your kids. It starts with knowing how Big Tobacco hooks new users and the ways kids hide these products at home.
The simple truth? E-cigarettes and vapes are highly addictive and incredibly dangerous. So how can you tell if your kids are vaping?
Know the Signs.
Stay aware of these warning signs that could indicate your kid is vaping.
- Artificially sweet smell.
- Increased thirst.
- Caffeine sensitivity.
- Unfamiliar batteries or chargers.
- Unusual-looking pens or USB drives.
Know the Lingo.
Vaping has its own vocabulary that’s as deceptive as the devices themselves. Here’s a taste…
E-cigarettes or vapes are also commonly known as:
- Vapes or vape pens
- Tank systems
- Puff Bars
Other terminology to listen for:
- Juice/Vape Juice
- Vape tricks/Smoke tricks
Know Where — and How — They’re Getting It.
While Oklahoma state law prohibits the sale of tobacco products to anyone under 21, kids are still getting it. Here are 4 common ways:
- Kids can use gift cards online to illegally order vape products, and many vape companies have names that wouldn’t raise a red flag on credit card statements.
- Vape website age gates are easily bypassed, and orders can be delivered without you ever knowing it.
- Clerks at convenience stores might not enforce the Tobacco 21 law.
- Kids get older friends to purchase products for them.
Educating your kids about the dangers of vaping and nicotine is critical — to their health and their life. Know the signs. Know the buzzwords. Help your child be tobacco free.
For more tips on talking to your kids about vaping and other flavored tobacco, read what you need to know about the youth vaping epidemic. Plus, stay informed on the latest Big Tobacco strategies by signing up for our newsletter.