What’s in a ‘Nic’ Name? A Guide to Tobacco and Nicotine Slang Names
Dipping. Dripping. Taking a drag or taking a draw. Tailpipes and tanks. It can be hard to keep track of the endless, ever-evolving list of slang for tobacco, but it’s important — and this guide can help you stay informed. Below, we’ve categorized various nicotine slang names by product type. Feel free to bookmark this page for future reference!
Vaping and E-Cigarette Slang
With the semi-recent surge of vapes and e-cigarettes came a slew of new nicotine slang names as well. This list of slang words for vapes isn’t exhaustive by any means, but it’s a great place to start!
- ADV (noun): An acronym that stands for “all day vape,” or a flavor that one can vape all day without getting sick of it.
- Atty (noun): Short for atomizer, which is a key component of an e-cigarette that converts the e-liquid to vapor.
- Batt (noun): A slang term that’s short for battery.
- Cart (noun): A slang term that’s short for a flavored cartridge.
- Cloud (noun): Vapor produced by an e-cigarette or vape.
- Cloud Chasing (verb): An attempt to exhale the biggest vapor cloud possible.
- Coil (noun): A part of the atomizer that heats the e-liquid.
- Draw (noun or verb): The vaping equivalent of the term “drag” that’s used with standard cigarettes.
- Dripping (verb): The process of manually applying e-cigarette liquid onto the coil before taking a puff, which enhances the flavor and intensifies the sensation.
- E-Hookah (noun): An electronic hookah pen that uses a vape atomizer and usually a small lithium battery to heat up e-liquid and produce vapor.
- E-Juice (noun): Liquid that is converted to aerosol by an e-cigarette or vaping device, which is typically flavored.
Synonyms: E-Liquid, Juice, Vape Juice
- Flooding (verb): A phenomenon that occurs when too much liquid reaches the atomizer.
- JUULing (verb): The act of using a JUUL device, a popular and highly concentrated nicotine vaporizer.
- Kick (noun): A term that describes the throat sensations experienced while vaping.
- Mod (noun): A term that’s short for “modification,” or a modified e-cigarette.
- Nic (noun): A slang term that’s short for “nicotine.”
- Pod (noun): A non-reusable pre-filled container of vape juice that snaps or slides into a device.
- Puff Bar (noun): A disposable vaping product that comes in a variety of flavors.
- Steeping (verb): The process of allowing e-liquid ingredients to settle through air exposure.
- Tailpipe (noun): A technique where one directly drips and inhales from an atomizer without a mouthpiece.
- Tank (noun): The top portion of a box mod or refillable pen that holds the e-liquid.
- Vape Tricks (noun): Blowing large amounts of exhaled aerosol or shapes such as rings.
Although plenty of new nicotine products have hit the market in recent years, standard cigarettes have stuck around. Here are a few cigarette slang terms that specifically refer to smoking.
- Ace (verb): To give another person some tobacco or a cigarette.
- Bone (noun): A slang name for a cigarette.
- Buzz (noun): The high experienced from nicotine use.
- Cig (noun): A slang term that’s short for “cigarette.”
- Drag (noun): A puff of smoke inhaled from a lit cigarette.
- Light (noun): A slang term for borrowing a lighter.
- Light Up (verb): To smoke a cigarette.
- Loosey (noun): A slang term for a single cigarette.
- Rollie (noun): Slang for a self-rolled cigarette.
Smokeless Tobacco Slang
Even if you’re up to snuff on slang names for smokeless tobacco, it won’t hurt to brush up on the terminology below! This is especially true given the fact that there are several new smokeless products on the scene … which means there are plenty of new nicotine slang names as well.
Slang Words for Chewing Tobacco
- Chew (noun): A slang term that’s short for “chewing tobacco.”
- Cope (noun): A slang term that’s short for Copenhagen, a popular brand of dip.
- Dip/Dipping (noun or verb): A common term for moist snuff placed between the gum and the upper lip.
- Lip/Lipper (noun): A term that refers to a pinch of smokeless tobacco placed in the lip.
- Pinch (noun): The amount of smokeless tobacco taken at a time.
- Snuff (noun): Finely ground tobacco that can be dry or moist and is either sniffed or placed in the mouth.
- Spitter (noun): A cup, bottle or other container for spitting out the juice from smokeless tobacco.
Slang Words for Nicotine Pouches
- Lip Pillow (noun): A slang term for a Zyn, ON! or any other type of nicotine pouch.
- Upper Decky (noun): A slang term for a Zyn pouch.
- Zyn (noun): A popular brand of nicotine pouch that’s placed against the gum.
Even though some of these slang words for tobacco sound harmless or even silly, it’s important to recognize them so you can protect the ones you love from nicotine addiction, which can be absolutely crippling. Decoding the countless nicotine slang names may still throw you for a loop from time to time, but hopefully it feels less intimidating than before with this resource! For even more information on tobacco slang, check out this chart. To take a stand against tobacco in your community, visit our Get Involved page!