Keep the Conversation Going
KEEP THE CONVERSATION GOING
Many parents find that texting is a great way to reach their teens. Here are some suggested text messages that might catch your teen’s attention.
Connect and encourage.
- You always liked science. Check out the science behind e-cigarettes and young people: E-cigarettes.SurgeonGeneral.gov
- Getting off nicotine is hard, but I’m so happy I quit. Don’t make the same mistakes I did. Smoking, tobacco and e-cigarettes are unsafe for young people.
Remind and repeat.
- Most teenagers don’t use e-cigarettes.
- Vapes with nicotine can mess with your brain, and your brain is still developing until you are at least 25.
- You might be tempted by e-cigarette or vape flavors, but inhaling them can be harmful.
Share facts and resources.
- I just learned that many e-cigarettes have nicotine in them. That’s the drug that makes cigarettes so addictive. Nicotine can also mess with your brain development.
- I just saw a report from the Surgeon General that e-cigarettes can mess with your brain development. They might even affect your mood and focus. Please don’t use any products that contain nicotine.
- I hope none of your friends use e-cigarettes around you. Even breathing the clouds they exhale can expose you to nicotine and chemicals that can be dangerous to your health.